Sound problem - test in console

Martin Kavec martin.kavec at uku.fi
Fri Feb 20 20:29:50 PST 2004

I am going crazy last two days, not being able to find the problem of the
silence from my speakers. They are connected to the PC :).

Everything worked just fine until recently on this LFS4.0 with Alsa0.9.2 and
2.4.19. I am not sure when the problem started and what I have been doing
before the sound muted. Just to make sure, I have recompiled the kernel
with sound support only, installed the modules , depmod -a, checked the
modules.conf against the BLFS1.0 and all seemed just fine. The kernel boots
fine, the modules load and lsmod lists them. In the logs nothing unusual.
Alsamix is OK, sound sliders are up and unmuted, I am the member of audio
group. In KDE-3.2 I have no sound at all.

I know the problem could be in KDE, but I want to make sure, that sound
works in console. I have a foggy idea about cat auriofile.au > /dev/dps or
something like this, but this doesn't work either on the PC with working
sound.

Anybody have an idea what could I do more? How to test the sound in console?

Martin