LPRng

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 20 07:44:55 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:32:31PM +0000, Ken Moffat enlightened us thusly
> >  Hey, Declan, some of us read them!  I'm still using Printing From
> > Scratch with gimp-print-4.3 and espgs for my epson 830u after adding
> > extra options to the script.  Gave up on cups/gimp-print/gimp (I'll
> >  retry it eventually, maybe next year :).
>
> Isn't it a bit much for _me_ to tell _anyone_ to read up? I'm unskilled
> at it, Ken; You'll have to make allowances for me :-o.

 Sure thing, I'm in your debt for having any printing.

> The key to the whole thing for me was to realize that ghostscript was
> a print engine all on it's own. It took postscript files and turned them
> into printer format of your specification. It is not difficult to use -
> a few blindingly obvious options.

 Mostly true (it's just modern printers that get in the way).

> So every other print program has to justify it's space by making clear
> what it is doing that ghostscript won't do already. Some do, some don't
> really. And the infuriating thing is that the 'easy to use frontend' is
> often more difficult to grapple with than ghostscript itself.

 Very true.  I could really use spooling, and for printing photos I'd
love to do borderless.  But I must blow away my latest LFS chapter 5
build and start it again.  Such is testing.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league