LPRng

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Feb 20 04:53:26 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:32:31PM +0000, Ken Moffat enlightened us thusly
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Declan Moriarty wrote:
>

> > There is printing hints, gs hints, etc.
> > Nobody reads them of course but when you realize you are knee deep in
> > smelly brown stuff you might at least try one, or the gs documentation
> > itself.
> >

>  Hey, Declan, some of us read them!  I'm still using Printing From
> Scratch with gimp-print-4.3 and espgs for my epson 830u after adding
> extra options to the script.  Gave up on cups/gimp-print/gimp (I'll
>  retry it eventually, maybe next year :).

Isn't it a bit much for _me_ to tell _anyone_ to read up? I'm unskilled
at it, Ken; You'll have to make allowances for me :-o.

The key to the whole thing for me was to realize that ghostscript was
a print engine all on it's own. It took postscript files and turned them
into printer format of your specification. It is not difficult to use -
a few blindingly obvious options.

So every other print program has to justify it's space by making clear
what it is doing that ghostscript won't do already. Some do, some don't
really. And the infuriating thing is that the 'easy to use frontend' is
often more difficult to grapple with than ghostscript itself.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.