LPRng

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Feb 20 03:25:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:55:47PM -0600, Albert enlightened us thusly
> > Check you have the djet500 dirver in your gs directory
>
> I am hopelessly confused.

That's a perfectly normal reaction.

> What does the driver look like?  I have
> /usr/lib/HP-DeskJet_540C-djet500.ppd. Is that it?

/usr/share/ghostscript/8.10/lib/cbjc600.ppd

That's my printer driver in the correct place if you installed gs in
/usr. If you put it in /usr/local, it should be
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.10/lib/cbjc600.ppd

The 8.10 is the gs version I have. If you're on 7.07, that should be
7.07

> > Fonts: If gs 7.x, did you compile with ./configure
> > --with-fontpath=/some/dir --with-fontpath=/some/other/dir etc?
>
> No.
> $ /usr/src/printing/espgs-7.07.1-source
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-cups --with-drivers=FILES,HP
> --without-omni --without-gimp-print --without-ijs
>
> I think I saw that /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts was the default.
>
> <snip>
> >
> > You _do_ have standard & extra gs fonts installed, DON'T YOU?
>
> I *thought* I did.  I unpacked them into /usr/share/ghostscript as the
> BLFS book said. So that I had:
>
> /usr/share/ghostscript
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/examples
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib
>  /usr/share/ghostscript/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0
>
> Then, I guessed that maybe they should be in a fonts dir, so I added
> one:
>
> /usr/share/ghostscript
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/examples
> /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib
>  /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0
> /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0
>
> And when *that* didn't work I removed the two gnu font dirs and emptied
> their contents directly into /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.
>
> Exactly, what *should* be in a */fonts directory?

/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts, with no subdirs, and all the standard, and
extra fonts. As they come in two packages, you may have to append one
fonts.dir to the other; ditto fonts.scale

On 8.10, that 'fonts' is a symlink to 8.10/Resource/Font which has all
the fonts in there with no subdirs.

> <snip>
>
> > If you're not making progress, report back.
>
> Well, while I was working on this reply. I restarted lpd and now
> postscript files print :)
>
> I'm not sure at what point it became "fixed."  But I thank you for
> pointing me to ghostscript as the culprit.

Moving the fonts, by the sound of it.

The ideal way is to compile gs again with a list of '--with-fontpath='
as long as your arm. Also use --with-drivers=all. That way you can have more
than the standard gs fonts. I am on version 8.10, and it uses the
GS_FONTPATH variable. But a2ps is crapping out on me recently over the
fonts issue, so my setup is not perfect.

There is printing hints, gs hints, etc.
Nobody reads them of course but when you realize you are knee deep in
smelly brown stuff you might at least try one, or the gs documentation
itself.

The thing to know is that gs basically has to match whatever font you
have with one it can play with and access, so that the more fonts you
give it use of, the less it will crash.

If it swallows your fancy
wordprocessor fonts, you should be OK. And you can run X, and just type
gs <filename> in an xterm. If that displays, it will print. You save
paper that way ;-).
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.