artsd 1.2.0 and non-kde apps

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Feb 20 01:48:06 PST 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> I have moved to a complete gtk2 based system (though I do have the
> runtime libs around for flash player). My philosophy is simple, if the
> apps needs gtk1, look for a replacement :) After all its been more
> than 18 months (and more if you consider when the development releases
> started) since gtk2 was released!

Depends on the package - Xmms is probably the best music out there for
what I need, and if someone hadn't created Beep to port it, I wouldn't
be too unhappy about keeping gtk1 around to use it. And ditto Sylpheed -
it's a good app that does what I need. If it wasn't that it was now the
single remaining app using gtk1, I wouldn't be looking for a
replacement.

Fortunately with both Xmms and Sylpheed, someone else has gotten
impatient with the lack of gtk2 support before me, and done something
about it. In this case, a fork is just as good as if the original
project had moved across.

Simon.