artsd 1.2.0 and non-kde apps

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 19 12:55:38 PST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:57:25 +1300
Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> Gregory Davis wrote:
>
> > I tried it, it works.  The arts plugin is in a separate package
> > which doesnt completely build (fails on a linking error), but can be
> > built by going to the appropriate directory in the source and
> > building there.  What is left in BLFS or any LFS derivate that still
> > uses gtk1?
> >
> > Greg
>
> On my particular system, the only thing I still need gtk1 for is the
> Sylpheed mail client, which appears to have little interest in making
> the move to gtk2.
>
> On the other hand, I've just done a search that's turned up a
> sylpheed-gtk2 project, which like Beep, appears to be a port to gtk2
> independent of the original developer. I'm just downloading it now -
> if that works well, my next LFS/BLFS build can abandon gtk1
> completely.

Warning - I tried the gtk2 port a while back and it promptly crashed
everytime it attempted to fetch mail or retrieve newsgroup postings -
not really a very good situation for a *mail* client to get itself into!
I might try with the latest version when I get time but for now I've
just had to make do with gtk1.  I'm also running xmms!  Time to give
beep a try here and then like you, I can hopefully rid myself of gtk1!

Regards,

Matt.