LPRng

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Feb 19 10:55:47 PST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:58:05 +0000
Declan Moriarty <declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie> wrote:
<snip>
> It looks to the uneducated eye like gs crapped out. Welcome to the
> club. Have you tried passing that ghostscript command without LPRng?
>
> Check you have the djet500 dirver in your gs directory

I am hopelessly confused.  What does the driver look like?  I have
/usr/lib/HP-DeskJet_540C-djet500.ppd. Is that it?

> Fonts: If gs 7.x, did you compile with ./configure
> --with-fontpath=/some/dir --with-fontpath=/some/other/dir etc?

No.
$ /usr/src/printing/espgs-7.07.1-source
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-cups --with-drivers=FILES,HP
--without-omni --without-gimp-print --without-ijs

I think I saw that /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts was the default.

<snip>

> You _do_ have standard & extra gs fonts installed, DON'T YOU?

I *thought* I did.  I unpacked them into /usr/share/ghostscript as the
BLFS book said. So that I had:

/usr/share/ghostscript
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/examples
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib
 /usr/share/ghostscript/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0

Then, I guessed that maybe they should be in a fonts dir, so I added
one:

/usr/share/ghostscript
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/examples
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib
 /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0

And when *that* didn't work I removed the two gnu font dirs and emptied
their contents directly into /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.

Exactly, what *should* be in a */fonts directory?

<snip>

> If you're not making progress, report back.

Well, while I was working on this reply. I restarted lpd and now
postscript files print :)

I'm not sure at what point it became "fixed."  But I thank you for
pointing me to ghostscript as the culprit.

Albert