LPRng

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Feb 19 01:58:05 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:24:03PM -0600, Albert enlightened us thusly
> <rant> I HATE installing printers. </rant>
>
> Sorry if this is OT.  The LPRng mail list is inactive.  Perhaps someone
> can point me to a solution.  I have installed LPRng, ghostscript,
> psutils and a2ps per the BLFS book.  Also, LPRngTool, ifhp, and
> ImageMagick. I can print text OK, but any attempt to print postscript
> yields:
>
> Conversion failed for type ''
> Using '/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q
> '-gOutputFile-/dev/fd/3' 3>&1 1>&2 -gPAPERSIZE=letter -gDEVICE=djet500
> dfA127lfs.mydomain.com'
> Error: 'Filter_file: converter exited with status 'exit status 1''

It looks to the uneducated eye like gs crapped out. Welcome to the club.
Have you tried passing that ghostscript command without LPRng?

Check you have the djet500 dirver in your gs directory

Fonts: If gs 7.x, did you compile with ./configure
--with-fontpath=/some/dir --with-fontpath=/some/other/dir etc?

If gs-8.x, are you setting GS_FONTPATH in the environment? If you have
OO, point at the font collection it assembles, which is usually
impressive, as well as ghostscript's own.Here's mine:
root:~#echo $GS_FONTPATH
/usr/local/share/AbiSuite/fonts/:/usr/local/share/a2ps/fonts/:/home/genius/OO/share/fonts/truetype/:/usr/share/groff/1.17.2/font/devps/:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/

You _do_ have standard & extra gs fonts installed, DON'T YOU?

I was never sure about -dPARANOIDSAFER; for the output file, use
-sOutputFile=<filename> and likewise -sDEVICE and -sPAPERSIZE if you
bother to specify them.

If you're not making progress, report back.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.