still trying to get kernel pppoe to work

Tom Haller tom.haller at att.net
Wed Feb 18 20:07:14 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm still trying to get kernel-mode pppoe to work on my LFS/BLFS system. Everything seems set up correctly and I get no error messages when I run "pppd eth0", but nothing happens. When I run XP on the same box, I can connect with no problem. When running LFS, I can connect to another box using static IP and a cross-over cable.

I posted a question about this last week but never got any responses. In the mean time I've scoured news groups & web, including this list's archive, and tried many variations, but haven't found the solution yet. I'm hoping someone might suggest what to do next or where else I could look for help. I do appreciate any help, even a hint. I'm getting desperate! :-(

My /etc/ppp/options file (I've tried a number of variations):

user 12341234 at worldnet.att.net
local
lock
sync
debug
plugin rp-pppoe.so
connect /bin/true
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local
usepeerdns
noipdefault
defaultroute
hide-password
nocrtscts
noauth
mru 1492
mtu 1492
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 3

My chap-secrets:
12341234 at worldnet.att.net * mypassword 0.0.0.0

>From my kernel config:
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=y
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y
CONFIG_PPPOE=y

>From daemon.log:
pppd[100]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
pppd[100]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2
pppd[101]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
pppd[101]: send (sendPacket)

ifconfig eth0 output (same before and after running "pppd eth0"):
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0B:DB:02:AA:AA
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec80