J2SDK compile problem

David Murphy ROT13tyvoqhq at ubgznvy.pbz
Tue Feb 17 19:37:25 PST 2004

Heya folks. At some point long ago I got J2SDK 1.4.1 compiled and running,
and now I'm trying to upgrade to 1.4.2, since Mozilla 1.6 claims to
require that version for its plugin.

I've followed the instructions in the current BLFS snapshot closely except
for one thing: instead of using the precompiled 1.4.2 binaries to
bootstrap the source compilation, I'm trying to use my 1.4.1 installation.
Is this a no-no?

Otherwise, I'm following the instructions verbatim: patches were applied,
environment variables set and unset, dependencies are fulfilled... but
after a loooooong period of compiling, it crapped out with the following:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/java/control/build/linux-i586/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so: undefined versioned symbol name __frame_state_for@@GLIBC_2.0
/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [/usr/src/java/control/build/linux-i586/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java/j2se/make/sun/font'
make[3]: *** [optimized] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java/j2se/make/sun/font'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java/j2se/make/sun'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java/j2se/make'
make: *** [j2se-build] Error 2

I've come along somewhat in my tweaking skills to get past some of these
problems that pop up, but this one's new, and I'm so far drawing a blank.
If someone could give me any hints, it would be appreciated.

-David Murphy