Mouse error

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Tue Feb 17 16:14:13 PST 2004

14:24, eklirmr at wanadoo.fr wrote:
> > In the last few days I've built LFS 5.0 on two different PCs, a Dell
> > Dimension H266 and a more recent Dell Dimension D4100. There were no
> > problems on either machine. Now I'm installing some libraries and
> > utilities, following the BLFS book; no problems on the H266, and just
> > one small problem on the D4100.
> >
> > I've installed gpm on both machines. On the D4100, when gpm runs at
> > startup, I get the following:
> >
> > error [mice.c (18770]: imps2: PS/2 mouse failed to read id, assuming
> > standard PS/2.
> >
> > The mouse behaves very strangely and so does the screen. But if I
> > then do ./gpm restart, there are no error messages, and everything
> > works fine.
> >
> > Both PCs do indeed have a PS/2 mouse, and I've altered the boot
> > scripts to echo the values of $MDEVICE and $PROTOCOL to be sure that
> > they're passed correctly. This doesn't happen on the H266, but it
> > happens every time on the D4100, and it also happens when I install
> > gpm on the old LFS 3.0 system on the D4100.
> >
> > >From looking in Google and the gpm man page, I've seen that there can
> >
> > be a conflict between gpm and X, but I haven't installed X on the
> > D4100 yet.
> >
> > OK, it's a minor problem and it's easily cured, but I'd like to know
> > why it happens. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> There are multiple types of PS/2 mice. It looks to me like you need to
> have a look at being more specific to gpm with -t help. You can switch
> the mice around between them to verify this. You might also want to
> check that /dev/psaux is the same on all the machines, and double-check
> that you have the appropriate kernel modules loaded.
> --
> The email address above is phony because my penis is already large enough,
> kthx. AIM: evilDagmar Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org

gpm is very usefull in the console. mc for example. Also, since selections
persist across virtual consoles, you can copy and paste without x.

I have seen the "failed to read id" error many times, usually exiting x to rl
3. I haven't taken the time to track down a solution. I suspect a time delay
is needed somewhere in the gpm scripts, though I can't be sure. Anyway, as
mentioned gpm -k followed by gpm -m <device> -t <type> generally works.

Kevin