Mouse error

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Tue Feb 17 07:56:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 14:24, eklirmr at wanadoo.fr wrote:
> In the last few days I've built LFS 5.0 on two different PCs, a Dell
> Dimension H266 and a more recent Dell Dimension D4100.  There were no
> problems on either machine.  Now I'm installing some libraries and
> utilities, following the BLFS book; no problems on the H266, and just
> one small problem on the D4100.
>
> I've installed gpm on both machines.  On the D4100, when gpm runs at
> startup, I get the following:
>
> error [mice.c (18770]: imps2: PS/2 mouse failed to read id, assuming
> standard PS/2.
>
> The mouse behaves very strangely and so does the screen.  But if I
> then do ./gpm restart, there are no error messages, and everything
> works fine.
>
> Both PCs do indeed have a PS/2 mouse, and I've altered the boot
> scripts to echo the values of $MDEVICE and $PROTOCOL to be sure that
> they're passed correctly.  This doesn't happen on the H266, but it
> happens every time on the D4100, and it also happens when I install
> gpm on the old LFS 3.0 system on the D4100.
>
> >From looking in Google and the gpm man page, I've seen that there can
> be a conflict between gpm and X, but I haven't installed X on the
> D4100 yet.
>
> OK, it's a minor problem and it's easily cured, but I'd like to know
> why it happens.  Does anyone have any ideas?

There are multiple types of PS/2 mice.  It looks to me like you need to
have a look at being more specific to gpm with -t help.  You can switch
the mice around between them to verify this.   You might also want to
check that /dev/psaux is the same on all the machines, and double-check
that you have the appropriate kernel modules loaded.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org