MIME encoding and mutt

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Tue Feb 17 06:18:16 PST 2004

* Declan Moriarty <declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie> [04-0217 11:41]:
> I got this the today from ebay. I'm running mutt in a console.
>

> Your Email Client does not support MIME encoding. Please upgrade to
> MIME-enabled Email Client (almost every modern Email Client is
> MIME-capable).
>
> Can mutt do this for them?

Are they telling you that they can't read a message you sent them,
because it's not MIME compliant?

Mutt can certainly read and create MIME messages. For reading them,
basically you need a /etc/mailcap and/or ~/.mailcap file that tells
mutt which app to use for each kind of mime attachments.

For instance I have a line that handles word files:

application/msword; /home/miguel/.OO/soffice %s;

As far as creating mime messages, that happens automatically under all
conditions I've found. You need a mime.types file, but mutt comes with
one that covers most cases.

The relevant part of the manual is here:

http://mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-5.html#ss5.1

If you attach a file, the resulting message will be
mime-compliant. The worst that can happen is that the type will be
wrong, if mutt can't identify the file type, but it will still be
compliant.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/