KDE 3.2 Anti-Aliasing problems?

Durk van Veen nntp.durk at cox.net
Sun Feb 15 19:57:58 PST 2004

Ainsley Pereira wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:33:03PM -0800, Durk van Veen wrote:
>> Is anyone else having issues with font anti-aliasing since upgrading to
>> the newest KDE? For me things started to go wrong as soon as I compiled
>> QT 3.3.0 and replaced the version I used to run with it, even before
>> having compiled any of the packages in KDE itself.
>
> I haven't compiled with the 3.3.0 release yet, but on the beta they had
> a particularly stupid freetype check which caused it not to antialias
> for me.
> What they'd done was check for freetype > 2.0.9 by checking *each digit
> individually* was greater/equal, so 2.1.5 isn't later than 2.0.9
> according to them, because 5 isn't >= 9. Duh.
>
> Just delete config.tests/x11/xfreetype.test and it'll assume you have
> it.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Ainsley

I checked your suggestion by reconfiguring QT and taking a look at the Xft
finds the version of freetype on my box.

I'm not sure yet whether I'm fooling myself, but a complete reboot of the
system appears to have taken care of my problems. Previously I had just
done telinit 3 and telinit 5 to switch between run-levels when "make
install"-ing the base parts of KDE (Qt, kdelibs, kdebase).