problem with ethernet card

cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Fri Feb 13 02:07:02 PST 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 20:39, dienadel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't connect to my ISP by DHCP, using the ethernet card connected to
> a cablemodem. After a lot of things, i decided to install a RH 8.0.
> During install, it correctly detected eth0 (Realtek RTL 8139) and
> configured it to use DHCP. But, starting RH, failed traying to connect
> to the ISP. I tried it with knoppix, and the same. AH! the guy who came
> this morning to install the cable in windows didn't can connect by
> ethernet, and finally put it by USB (there isn't support for linux). I
> was working, so i don't know anymore.
>
> So i went to windows, and run the diagnosis software that came with the
> card. All seems ok, except for the "on board diagnostics". It can be
> started without external connection, but the cable modem was connected.
> This is the output:
>
> NODE ID: 00 0A CD 04 30 CD
> NETWORK SPEED: 100 Mbps
> I/O Base: DC00 H
> Interrupt: 11
> Full-duplex: Enabled
> Cable connection: Connect
>
> ***************PASS COUNT***FAIL COUNT********
> A.I/O Register....4562..........0.............
> b.Loopback Test.....0.........4562............
>
> NOTE: That number grows 20 times per second and is alwways the same,
> above and below.
>
> Finally, my question, is the ethernet card bad? is a hardware error?
>
> This way, with a screenshot of the test, and yours opinions, i'll can
> change it by another one.
>
> Thanks
>
> dienadel

This looks indeed like an hardware error to me. Try swapping cards, if the
cable modem allows it (I don't know whether the MAC addres of your card is
the only one that's allowed to connect)

You have made sure it's a hardware error by trying 4 different OS.

Greets, cedric
--
No microsoft products were used for this e-mail