LFS 5.0 - pkgconfig-0.15.0 - PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Feb 12 18:12:49 PST 2004

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
<snip>
> You're doing it wrong then.  Learn the proper way to change the
> installation root during the make install and you won't have a problem
> with your stow path being hardcoded into pkgconfig.

I was following the instructions of the package management program.
Tushar has pointed out a better way that I was unaware of.

This is obviously an emotional issue with you and I have no desire to
irritate.  I think the best solution is to change the book to simply
say:  Add the variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH to profile and add all needed
paths.  It's fewer words than what's in the book now and should work in
all cases.

<snip>
> Then the book is likely wrong, and someone should have been
> fact-checking.  Check the source and see.

I am not that suspicious and have learned to have great confidence in
LFS/BLFS books.

>> > Since no packages in the book is
>> > installed into /usr/local, people who follow the instructions won't
>> > have
>> > any problem.
>>
>> I followed the instructions and still had the problem.
>
> So which packages in the book install things into /usr/local?

None that I've encountered.  But that wasn't my problem. My problem was
the misleading statement in the book which I thought courteous to point
out.  I have done that now and am no longer concerned.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,