Networking problems on finishing LFS

Ashley Oliver me at allsorts46.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 16:18:41 PST 2004

Okay, just been into the Linux system to try some of the suggestions, now
back in Win2K...

> It sounds like there's a problem with your network route.
> What does the output of the "route" command look like?

'route' produces this: (I'll list the two lines vertically as there's too
many columns to fit properly horizontally)

Entry 1:

Destination:	192.168.1.0
Gateway:		*
Genmask:		255.255.255.0
Flags:		U
Metric:		0
Ref:			0
Use:			0
Interface:		eth0

Entry 2:

Destination:	default
Gateway:		192.168.1.2 (My router's IP)
Genmask:		0.0.0.0
Flags:		UG
Metric:		1
Ref:			0
Use:			0
Interface:		eth0

> Can you ping this machine from another one?

Nope. My other machines all run Windows, and they all report a timeout when
trying to ping the linux machine.

> Does dmesg show anything interesting, such as negotiating
> the speed (some nic drivers are very quiet in the logs,
> others are very noisy, so finding nothing can be a good
> sign).

Argh, sorry forgot to run dmesg, but I do see speed negotiations happen at
startup, and for some reason also after a few failed ping attemps. Says
something like 'Set to 100Mbps full duplex following negotiations'.

> Is the cable connected?

Yeah, the network runs perfectly when I have Win2K loaded. Only in the LFS
system it doesn't work.

> Have you double-checked the IP address to make sure there aren't any
> typos in it?

I've checked all the files (hosts, network, ifconfig.eth0 etc)

> On one of my boxes, the network card is built on to the mobo.  It used
> to get upset very easily, and eventually went in to a terminal sulk (the
> driver loads, but I can't use the interface).  Replaced it with an
> add-on card on eth1, brought that up instead, everything was fine.  Then
> one day I got the familiar error messages for 'no such device' during
> boot.  Later on I rebooted, and it has been ok ever since.  Sometimes
> these things can be sporadic, but the first place to look is the values
> you put in /etc/sysconfig.

My card is a PCI one, with some realtek chipset. Can't remember the model
now... RTL31...something, but when I found out what it was I saw Linux
actually included a driver for the exact model, so that's compiled into the
kernel. Seems to be okay, since Linux detected it fine, and brings up the
interface with no problems.

I might rebuild all the network-related files from scratch tommorow, and
check the things I selected to be put in the kernel, and recompile that too,
just to make absolutely sure everything is as it is supposed to be... but
I'm pretty sure it is.

One little thing I noticed... even after a few failed ping attempts, the
statistics of the eth0 interface still show 0 sent 0 recieved. Shouldn't
there at least be some sent?

Off to bed now, will try more tommorow. Thanks for suggestions so far.

Ashley