Networking problems on finishing LFS

Ashley Oliver allsorts46 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 13:43:57 PST 2004

 --- Guy Benson <gbbenson68 at netscape.net> wrote: >
me at allsorts46.co.uk wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I've just completed the LFS book, and mostly,
> things are working fine. The
> >problem however, is with networking.
> >I've set things up as described in the book, with
> the following settings:
> >
> >IP: 192.168.1.9
> >Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (My router)
> >Gateway interface: eth0
> >Hostname: Carbon109 (FQDN: Carbon109.localdomain)
> >
> >The interface is brought up on boot, and reports no
> problems. 'ifconfig
> >eth0' displays exactly what I'd expect, and I've
> checked all the relevant
> >files for errors. Everything looks fine, but I'm
> unable to ping any of the
> >computers on my network. I can ping myself, but any
> other address, including
> >the router itself, results in 'destination host
> unreachable'.
> >
> >Thanks for any suggestions as to what to try next,
> >
> >Ashley
> >
> I beleive that this is in a FAQ somewhere, but, did
> you set up the
> resolv.conf file?
>
> Guy

I've not made resolv.conf yet, but I'm not attempting
to resolve any hostnames, just pinging known IP
addresses in my network. I've built this system at the
same time as a friend, and his network worked at this
stage. We've compared files and they're identical
except for the IP addresses being used - we even have
the same network card. Since everything looks right I
can't think what could possibly be different, except
maybe I missed something necesary out of the kernel.

I couldn't see anything in the LFS FAQ about it, and
I've been through the Linux Networking HOWTO by the
Linux Documentation Project... they all describe
producing a system exactly the same as mine is.

Ashley