LFS 5.0 - pkgconfig-0.15.0 - PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Feb 12 13:20:26 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:40, Albert wrote:
> Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> <snip>
> > ...which means if you built it with --prefix=/usr, it will always look
> > in /usr/lib/pkgconfig no matter what PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set to.
>
> That might explain it then.  Are you saying pkg-config compiles in the
> <prefix >/lib/pkgconfig path?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

> There is more than one way to install
> into <prefix>.   I use a package management tool like stow.  I install
> into another prefix and then link the files to <prefix>.  That seems
> like a bug to me.  pkg-config would be more robust and flexible if it
> didn't do that.

You're doing it wrong then.  Learn the proper way to change the
installation root during the make install and you won't have a problem
with your stow path being hardcoded into pkgconfig.

> > If
> > you followed the book's instructions, then pkgconfig was installed in
> > /usr, and if you want it to search /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, you
> > *must* add it
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable.  This is not a bug in pkgconfig.
> >
> > This is also not a bug in the book.
>
> The book *still* says:
>
> "The default settings for PKG_CONFIG_PATH are /lib/pkgconfig, /usr/lib
> pkgconfig and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. These settings are hard-coded
> and do not have to be exported with the additional paths."
>
> That seems clear to me.  And it makes no mention of those settings being
> dependent on <prefix>.

Then the book is likely wrong, and someone should have been
fact-checking.  Check the source and see.

> > Since no packages in the book is
> > installed into /usr/local, people who follow the instructions won't
> > have
> > any problem.
>
> I followed the instructions and still had the problem.

So which packages in the book install things into /usr/local?
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org