Problems building wmx

eklirmr at wanadoo.fr eklirmr at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 12 04:08:16 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:55:18AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 eklirmr at wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
> > Dear Ken,
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.  You were right, it's a problem with the
> > wmx code which won't compile under GCC 3.3.1.
> >
> > I suppose that passing the CC variable at make doesn't work because
> > it's a c++ program: it should be CCC.
> >

> Hi, Paul.
>
>  I thought about that, but I wasn't sure what it ought to be, so I
> didn't put it in my earlier reply.  Where did you find CCC ?

Hi Ken,

I suppose it was an inspired guess.  After running ./configure in the
wmx source directory, the Makefile begins

CCC=c++

so I thought probably I needed to pass CCC to make rather than CC.

> > So my first idea was to use the kludge in the BLFS book: just for the
> > period of the build, put /opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin at the start of PATH.
> > That worked:
> >

>  Hard words - it isn't a kludge !  It's a very normal way of using a
> different version of a program - make sure it is found first.

For me it's kludgier than "make CCC=whatever" because I might forget
to reset the PATH variable afterwards and then go on to compile other
programs with the old compiler.

Anyway, Simon very kindly sent me the GCC 3.3.1 patch for wmx, so I
was able to re-compile it without kludges, workarounds or whatever you
like to call them.  Now I just need to figure out how the patch works

Thanks again for your help,

Paul

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paul.bailey/