Problems building wmx

eklirmr at wanadoo.fr eklirmr at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 11 12:44:19 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:43:07PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> These sorts of errors in _old_ c++ programs are common under modern
> versions of gcc.  I'm not familiar with wmx, but in general it's a good
> idea to use the _latest_ stable release, and if you still have problems
> try a prerelease or CVS version.  gcc-3.3 and later is much more picky
> about compliance with standards in c++.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately there isn't a more recent
release of wmx as far as I can see.  I've tried posting to the wmx
list as well but my mails got returned.  Maybe the program just isn't
maintained any more (pity).

> > So, again following the BLFS book, I installed GCC 2.95.3, including
> > moving the libraries to the standard lib directory.  I have to admit
> > that the instructions in the BLFS book confused me: how can a program
> > distinguish between the GCC 3.1.1 and 2.95.3 libraries in /usr/lib?
> >

>  I'm not familiar with this, I think 2.95.3 needs a patch to play nicely
> when its in the same directory as a later version of gcc.  You might
> need to pay a lot of attention to actually build with 2.95.3 in that
> situation.

Yes, that's exactly what worries me.

> > Anyway, even after doing that, the error message in the wmx build was
> > unchanged.  I even tried (as with the kernel) "make
> > CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc", but that didn't work either.
> >

>  It probably needs something different to override which version of g++
> (the c++ front end to gcc) is used.  Maybe check this part of the BLFS
> book again.

I did, but it still confuses me.  After installing in /opt/gcc-2.95.3,
the book says

"Move the C++ libraries to the standard lib directory to avoid having to add /
opt/gcc-2.95.3/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.

for i in /opt/gcc-2.95.3/lib/*.so*; do mv -f $i /usr/lib;
ln -sf /usr/lib/`basename $i` /opt/gcc-2.95.3/lib; done"

But then, a few lines further on,

"As with most libraries, there is no configuration to do, save that the library
directory i.e. /opt/lib or /usr/local/lib should appear in /etc/ld.so.conf so
that ldd can find the shared libraries. After checking that this is the case, /
sbin/ldconfig should be run while logged in as root.

The instructions given above make compatibility symlinks that pre-compiled
packages in BLFS require. You may create additional compatibility links based
on your requirements.

If you only need the GCC-2.95.3 libraries, you may delete /opt/gcc-2.95.3.

Whenever you need to use GCC-2.95.3 instead of you system installed compiler,
add /opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin to the front of your PATH or (preferably) set the CC
environment variable before compiling the concerned package."

If the libraries are no longer in /opt/lib/ (or
/opt/gcc-2.95.3/lib/?), why add the path to /etc/ld.so.conf?

The reason I installed LFS5 was to have a stable, reliable Linux
system, but now I already have bits of two different compilers
scattered around the system and I'm getting worried!

I've found an LFS hint on installing the two compilers together and
switching between them using a script, but it involves installing the
files in yet another location and I'm already getting headaches trying
to remember where everything is ...

If gcc 3.3.1 has all these problems, why not just stick with 2.95.3?
If it's good enough for the kernel ...

Regards

Paul

--