LFS 5.0 - pkgconfig-0.15.0 - PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Wed Feb 11 12:18:16 PST 2004

chrooted to $LFS.

In the BLFS-5.0 book, after installing pkgconfig-0.15.0 there is a
section on configuring:
Configuring pkgconfig
Add to your system or personal profile:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig

The default settings for PKG_CONFIG_PATH are /lib/pkgconfig, /usr/lib
pkgconfig and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. These settings are hard-coded
and do not have to be exported with the additional paths.
I put the export statement in profile, logged out and chrooted again.
Later, after installing glib and while configuring pango I got an error
that indicated that the "hard coded" paths were missing.  I then put
*all* the paths in the export, chrooted again, and pango configured
without error.

So, now I am confused.  Is the statement, "These settings are hard-coded
and do not have to be exported with the additional paths." in error?
They never showed up when env was run until I manually added them.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,