ProFTPd Configuration

Charles LECLERC leclerch at ensieta.fr
Wed Feb 11 09:09:15 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I am running an LFS 5 system with proftpd 1.2.8. I want to run proftpd for anonymous login, so I have this configuration file:

# This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file
# It establishes a single server and a single anonymous login.

ServerName			"ProFTPD Default Installation"
ServerType			standalone
DefaultServer			on

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port				21
# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask				022

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances			30

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User				nobody
Group				nobody

# Normally, we want files to be overwritable.
<Directory /*>
  AllowOverwrite		on
</Directory>

# A basic anonymous configuration, no upload directories.
<Anonymous ~ftp>
  User				ftp
  Group				ftp
  # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as "proftpd"
  UserAlias			anonymous ftp

  # Limit the maximum number of anonymous logins
  MaxClients			10

  # We want 'welcome.msg' displayed at login, and '.message' displayed
  # in each newly chdired directory.
  DisplayLogin			welcome.msg
  DisplayFirstChdir		.message

  # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
  <Limit WRITE>
    DenyAll
  </Limit>
</Anonymous>

When I try to connect with ftp, the login is refused, I got this message:

Connected to 172.25.20.242.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.8 Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [DarkCiX.ensieta.fr]
Name (172.25.20.242:charles): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.