LFS 5.0, missing device /dev/agpart in FX86 start up

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Feb 9 16:41:47 PST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Albert wrote:

> After startx on new installation of XFree86-4.3.0.1 I receive:
>
> (EE) GARTInit: unable to open /dev/agpart (no such file or directory)
>
> How would I fix this?  In my kernel I chose:

(i) attention to detail:
/dev/agpgart
        ^
(ii) change your mindset, it's not directly to do with what you
did/didn't select! (ok, you don't need it if you don't select the agp
stuff).  You're missing the /dev file.  The further you progress through
BLFS, the more likely you are to have to add extra devices (printers,
whatever).  Look in linux-2.4.24/Documentation/devices.txt then use
mknod to create the correct device ;)

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league