Why does XFree86 require DRI as module rather than built in?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Feb 9 13:38:55 PST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Albert wrote:

> Why does XFree86 require DRI as module rather than built in?

 Not really my speciality, but up until recently the kernel dri modules
were incompatible with XFree86-4.3 so you had to build modules in X.
Anything you build in XFree is like any other non-kernel package - you
can't build it into a monolithic kernel because it's outside it.

 With 2.4.24 you should find that the kernel's dri options work with X,
it then come down to which you think is newer - if you go for the kernel
version, I think you ought to be able to build it in.  But it's a long
while since I was concerned with dri, I might be mistaken.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league