startx won't

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Sun Feb 8 22:26:10 PST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:21:55 -0800
"michael" <michael8110 at terra.com.br> wrote:

> after using LFS smoothly for a couple of months now i was shocked and
> surprised to receive the following brutish note after typing 'startx' :
> 'cannot move old logfile var/log/XFree86.0.log.old' and then
> 'giving up,bla bla',which of course i also did and went on to dust off
> dependable old windows.Would someone please have an idea of what's to be
> done,should i rm the offending file,maybe?Thanks,michael
> He that has a shadow,it's because he's also shone upon.

Michael, I'm not sure you are quite ready for a real computer, if you are
shocked and surprised about this kind of thing. Running back undependable new
windows won't help.

Delete /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old, and then retry. You probably shutdown
forcibly while X was running, or just turned the machine off without shutting
down. X is trying to preserve th evidence for you.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS http://www.109bean.org.uk/