Ugly Truetype font in GTK apps

Rubber Zhou zrubber at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 21:47:35 PST 2004

I haved completed the installation for X+Qt+KDE+Gtk in BLFS 5.0.

i did KDE Control Center=>System Administration=>font installer and
installed the following fonts:
tahoma.ttf
arial.ttf
times.ttf

After I set tahoma as my default font, KDE's appearance is perfect. Fonts
are crisp and they look as good as in windows. Openoffice can also recognize
those fonts, the interface is using tahoma and i can type in Times New
Roman. All fonts look fantastic.

but fonts in gtk2.0 apps don't have the same crisp look as they do in KDE
and openoffice.
I have tested gtk depended apps such as Gaim 0.75 and ethereal, and fonts in
them all have the same problem. After i have googled around, i'm pretty sure
that what causes the truetype fonts in gtk app to look ugly is that fonts
are not subpixel hinted (i'm using a Laptop w/ LCD).

Then i uncommment the stuff in /etc/fonts/local.conf that is supposed to
enable subpixel hinting. But fonts in Gaim still look ugly as they were
before.

Since i'm using a LFS system, i bring up the BLFS 5.0 book and trace the GTK
dependency. I find that GTK depends on Pango which does the text rendering
for GTK and I found that i forgot to set the environment variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig after i have installed X.
Without setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH, pango won't recognize Freetype 2 which
handles fonts in X. I am sure that Freetype 2 is working because otherwise i
wouldn't get crisp truetypes fonts in KDE. So i recompile pango, make
uninstall the existing version, and install the new version. Then i
recompile and reinstall GTK 2.2.4 and gaim 7.5. But after all that, fonts in
Gaim haven't changed a bit. It seems that no matter what i put in
/etc/fonts/local.conf, fonts in GTK apps remain the same. I also try to sync
the ~/.fonts.conf w/ /etc/fonts/local.conf, but doesn't seem to help either.

I am stuck. Appreciate any help in advance.

Here's my /etc/fonts/local.conf
?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>

<match target="font">
</match>
</fontconfig>

My ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (specifies which font GTK apps use in their interfaces)

gtk-entry-select-on-focus = 1
#style "user-font"
#{
# font_name = "Tahoma 12"
#}

#widget_class "*" style "user-font"
#commented sections i am told are deprecated.

gtk-font-name = "Tahoma 12"

#gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"