error compiling ppp-2.4.2

tom.haller at att.net tom.haller at att.net
Sun Feb 8 16:38:41 PST 2004

Hi,

I hunted around and found a tar ball on the samba ftp site for ppp 2.4.2
which includes pppoe, so I don't need Roaring Penguin (apparently rp code is
actually part of ppp now). Previously I tried compiling rp-pppoe-3.5 but
failed (see quoted below).

When I do the make for ppp, I get errors starting with the compile of
options.c, as you can see below. pcap.h is nowhere to be found on my system.

I built my whole LFS with no problem, and have added lynx and ppp 2.4.1 with
no problem. This is my first major stumbling block. Thanks for any help
anyone can give me.

cc -O2 -pipe -Wall -g -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -DHAVE_MMAP -I../include -
DCHAPMS=1 -DMPPE=1 -DHAS_SHADOW -DHAVE_CRYPT_H=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1 -
DHAVE_MULTILINK -DUSE_TDB=1 -DPLUGIN -DPPP_FILTER -I/usr/include/pcap -
DMAXOCTETS -c -o options.o options.c
options.c:58:18: pcap.h: No such file or directory
In file included from options.c:59:
../include/pcap-int.h:39:18: pcap.h: No such file or directory
In file included from options.c:59:
../include/pcap-int.h:53: error: field `stat' has incomplete type
../include/pcap-int.h:95: error: field `fcode' has incomplete type
../include/pcap-int.h:97: error: `PCAP_ERRBUF_SIZE' undeclared here (not in a
function)
../include/pcap-int.h:107: error: parse error before '*' token
../include/pcap-int.h:108: error: parse error before '*' token
options.c:125: error: parse error before "pc"
options.c:125: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `pc'
options.c:125: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
options.c: In function `setpassfilter':
options.c:1442: error: request for member `linktype' in something not a
structure or union
options.c:1442: error: `DLT_PPP' undeclared (first use in this function)
options.c:1442: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
options.c:1442: error: for each function it appears in.)
options.c:1443: error: request for member `snapshot' in something not a
structure or union
options.c:1445: warning: implicit declaration of function `pcap_compile'
options.c:1447: warning: implicit declaration of function `pcap_geterr'
options.c: In function `setactivefilter':
options.c:1458: error: request for member `linktype' in something not a
structure or union
options.c:1458: error: `DLT_PPP' undeclared (first use in this function)
options.c:1459: error: request for member `snapshot' in something not a
structure or union
options.c: At top level:
options.c:123: error: storage size of `pass_filter' isn't known
options.c:124: error: storage size of `active_filter' isn't known
make[1]: *** [options.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/src/ppp-2.4.2/pppd'
make: *** [all] Error 2