LFS 5.0 - dhcpcd failing

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sun Feb 8 02:22:29 PST 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 03:20, Albert wrote:
> Allard Welter wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Besides the O6 optimization level which I think a bit excessive, the
> > files being included are not the ones being asked for in the makefile.
> > If you haven't updated your kernel they should be the same, however,
> > if you are running a different kernel to the one glibc was compiled
> > against you need to either edit the makefile to point to the headers
> > of the kernel you're currently using, or symlink/rename the kernel
> > sources to what the makefile is asking for (/usr/src/linux - note,
> > they do not specify a version). I wouldn't give up that easily if I
> > were you.
>
> Thanks, Allard.  I *think* I understand this. To be sure they are in
> sync I will recompile the kernel.  My first kernel was in /sources but
> I unpacked a fresh one into /usr/src/linux-2.4.22 and recompiled my
> kernel.  Later I linked it to /usr/src/linux to match the Broadcom
> makefile.  At any rate, I'll poke around some more.  I assume that,
> because my NIC isn't in the kernel list that there is no sense in
> selecting another card.

There is another point I forgot about last night which I'd like to clear up.
Yes you do need the includes for the currently running kernel, but more
importantly, the driver you're compiling is a kernel module, so it will need
access to the internal kernel headers. The headers in /usr/include are only a
subset of the headers in the kernel source tree sufficient for user-space
programs.

apologies for the omission.
Allard

allard at quicknet.nl