LFS 5.0 - dhcpcd failing

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Sat Feb 7 11:54:14 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Albert wrote:
>
>> I have followed the instruction in BLFS 5.0->Chpt 14, DHCP clients,
>> for
>> installing and using dhcpcd-1.3.22.  Yet, on boot, startup fails and
>> I get the following message in /var/dhcpcd.log:
>>
>> Feb  6 22:17:08 lfs dhcpcd[83]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No
>> such device
>>
>  On anything to do with networking, the first question is  always `do
> you have the network card set up ?' - e.g. is the correct module
> loaded
> with `alias eth0 natsemi' or whatever.  Assuming that is sorted, this
> is probably your kernel config - you need CONFIG_FILTER=y (or -m, I
> suppose).  The config help in 2.4.24 looks a bit misleading, but a
> quick experiment shows setting Networking Options -> Socket Filtering
> should turn it on. (Check your .config, it's just above CONFIG_UNIX).

Thank, Ken.  I'm setting up to recompile the kernel again and will try
those options.  My main problem is that I am running on a Dell
Dimension 2400 that uses an Intel chipset with integrated ethernet
support so I haven't a clue what needs to be compiled in for it.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,