LFS 5.0 - dhcpcd failing

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 6 12:19:21 PST 2004

> I have followed the instruction in BLFS 5.0->Chpt 14, DHCP clients, for
> installing and using dhcpcd-1.3.22.  Yet, on boot, startup fails and I
> get the following message in /var/dhcpcd.log:
>
> Feb  6 22:17:08 lfs dhcpcd[83]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such
> device
>
> In that the only modifications required to the scripts are for the
> DHCP_START variable in  ifconfig.eth0,  I assume that more is needed
> than I have:
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> DHCP_PROG=/sbin/dhcpcd
> DHCP_START=-d
> DHCP_STOP=-k
>
> It is not clear to me in the man page for dhcpcd what else is required.
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I cant help you with the error, but you dont need any more start/stop
flags then what you got.

Probably cant find another DHCP server, or the eth0 interface doesnt exist

usually a simple `dhcpcd eth0` starts up the eth0 interface.  [if you want
to experiment with it outside of the bootscripts].  -d looks like debug
info, so you can include that as well.