LFS 5.0 - dhcpcd failing

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Feb 7 10:11:26 PST 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Albert wrote:

> I have followed the instruction in BLFS 5.0->Chpt 14, DHCP clients, for
> installing and using dhcpcd-1.3.22.  Yet, on boot, startup fails and I
> get the following message in /var/dhcpcd.log:
>
> Feb  6 22:17:08 lfs dhcpcd[83]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such
> device

 On anything to do with networking, the first question is  always `do
you have the network card set up ?' - e.g. is the correct module loaded
with `alias eth0 natsemi' or whatever.  Assuming that is sorted, this is
probably your kernel config - you need CONFIG_FILTER=y (or -m, I
suppose).  The config help in 2.4.24 looks a bit misleading, but a quick
experiment shows setting Networking Options -> Socket Filtering should
turn it on. (Check your .config, it's just above CONFIG_UNIX).

> In that the only modifications required to the scripts are for the
> DHCP_START variable in  ifconfig.eth0,  I assume that more is needed
> than I have:
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> DHCP_PROG=/sbin/dhcpcd
> DHCP_START=-d
> DHCP_STOP=-k
>
> It is not clear to me in the man page for dhcpcd what else is required.
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?

 I don't use a dhcp server, only a client, so I can't comment on your
values here - for a client I'm using _START='eth1 =1' and _STOP='-r' but
a _quick_ glance through the man pages leaves me none the wiser.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league