Two GTK Versions

Emanuele Fabrizio emanuele at fabrizio.com
Sat Feb 7 00:21:43 PST 2004

I installed them both but in different locations. Given that gtk+-1 is
older and that various apps using it are in the process of upgrading to
gtk+-2, I preferred to put version one in the /opt directory and
version two in the /usr directory.

They coexist peacefully but as an added step I also check each app for
which version of the toolkit it wants and, if possible specify at
configure time which gtk version to use. Look for options in the
configure script, typically it's called: --with-gtk-prefix

I found that with BLFS if one reads carefully the configure script of
each package a lot of customization can be achieved, also in terms of
enabling some features that are not always indicated in the book
(especially in the multimedia and audio/video section).

My suggestion would be to read over the documentation of each package
presented in the BLFS book and make some research to learn even more
about the system one is about to build.

--
Emanuele Fabrizio
<emanuele at fabrizio.com>