error compiling rp-pppoe-3.5

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Fri Feb 6 20:30:56 PST 2004

tom.haller at att.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a working LFS 5.0 system and have started installing some of the
> BLFS 5.0 stuff. I've hit a snag on the PPPoE client. I had no errors
> compiling/installing PPP, but when I do the make on rp-pppoe-3.5 I get this
> when it tries to compile if.c:
>
> if.c: In function `openInterface':
> if.c:425: error: storage size of `ifr' isn't known
> if.c:425: warning: unused variable `ifr'
> make *** [if.o] Error 1
>
> That is only the second compile in the sequence, the first being pppoe.c
> which is successful.
>
> I searched in vain for an answer to this in the archives, and on the web, and
> found nothing except a document in Spanish, but since I only know how to ask
> for a beer and a taco in Spanish, I couldn't decipher it.
>
> Aside from this, my experience with LFS & now BLFS has been FANTASTIC!!! I
> wanted a way to learn Linux from the inside out, and this is just the ticket.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

I have no definative answer as I've not used the package since before I
wrote the page for it.  I've not seen this error, nor do I see it now,
so not much help I can offer.  I do have a suggestion however, if you
plan to use kernel-mode pppoe, rp-pppoe is no longer necessary with
ppp-2.4.2.  Very recently (last week IIRC), somebody had a problem with
kernel mode, and a suggested configuration was posted.  Take a look at
the archives...no sense having an unneeded package.

Also for future reference, when you run across a possible solution in a
different language, a free translator is availible here:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ It'll do the rough translation for
you...well enough to get the majority of it anyways.

-- DJ