Cups 'printtime' problems

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Feb 6 08:19:41 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:31:13PM +0100, cedric enlightened us thusly
> Hi all, i try to get my printer working with cups and esp ghostscript.
>
> All the software compiles and runs, but when i  print the cups testpage i get
> nothing but lines of random dots on my paper.
>
> At the first try i compiled foomatic ghostscript, and cups.
>
> At the second attempt i compiled cups, ghostscript with the omni drivers, and
> then cups again (for some reason)
>
> This didn't change much, in the web-admin of cups i only could choose the
> HP Deskjet 500 (Foomatic/hpijs)
> for my printer. (Witch is indeed a deskjet 500)
>
> I guess some of the foomatic (and hpijs) stuff has polluted my print setup.
>
> How do i correct this?

I'll withhold comment on your choice of print tool. Maybe you need a
scheduler.

One thing I was goping to mention was the ghostscript-7.05 fontpath; If
you are compiling gs, use ./configure --with-fontpath=/your/font/subdir

You can repeat the switch as often as you like. If you upgrade to gs
8.x, set GS_FONTPATH in the environment.

Lastly, isolate the problem. You can print with ghostscript alone. How
much of the other stuff do you really need?

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.