Two GTK Versions

alex at 22-music.de alex at 22-music.de
Fri Feb 6 07:19:49 PST 2004

On 06.02.04 13:49 +0000, John Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The BLFS book includes GTK+-1.2.10 and GTK+-2.2.4 but does not
> explain the relationship between them.  I had some apps that
> expect GTK-1 and some that expect GTK-2, so I installed
> GTK+-1.2.10 and GTK+-2.2.4, in that order.  Was that correct?
> A sentence or two to clarify the matter might help other puzzled
> and uncertain wanderers.
First of all, GTK+ is short for the Gimp ToolKit Plus, meaning a widget
library actually meant for the Gimp. Gtk+1.x was for Gimp-1.2, Gtk+2.x
is for Gimp-2.x (which just reached the third prerelease version and
will soon be stable). Nevertheless, as usable and free as this toolkit
is, a lot of other applications make use of it in both versions. Gtk+1
is somewhat smaller than its successor, which has a lot of additional
features that can be so useful in some applications. Some applications
originally developed for gtk+1 are currently being ported to gtk+2. Both
can be installed on the same system without any actual problems.

LX