"Remove"-value causes syntax error with loadkeys

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Feb 6 04:41:14 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:24:58AM +0000, Andre Müller enlightened us thusly

> Your ' sign still looks like this "?" (Which I see as Z)
>
> >Send us a reply including everything you can't get and everything we
> >>can't get, like information: Your ' sign still looks like this ? (Which
> >I see as Z)
> >
> >Your keyboard type.
> >	In the console, what font have you? keymap? locale?
> >Do the locale files exist in /usr/lib/locale?
> >
> >Have you X running? How do you manage there?
> >
> >-- With best Regards, Declan Moriarty.
> >above information page
>

> ok,
>
> i think i can answer the questions by heart --
> more concise info has to wait till monday, as
> my hardware´s not on the net and i won´t be home...
>
> the trouble is the <Del> and the <End> key (bottom left and bottom
> middle of the sixpack). everything else works fine.
>
> my keyboard is an ibm pc at, no windows keys, german layout,
> connecting to ps2.
>
> i use a default font 8xXX (tried a few for
> troubleshooting, won´t matter).
>
> the keymap is de-latin1-nodeadkeys, but the problem remains
> when loading the us or uk keymaps us.map and uk.map
> in the locale dir, there is one library (?) file and i
> couldn´t make much of it. otherwise it´s empty.
> i´ll get more concise asap.
> my only language definition is LC_CTYPE=de_DE.
>
> i´ve got no x -- i decided to have all the other
> things nice and proper and so not to carry stupid
> errors to where it gets even more confusing :-)
> and i don´t really need it.
>
> there _may_ be a problem connected to the kernel,
> as i tried to compile a new one supporting my cheesy
> old sb16 and ran into errors
> with drivers/char/char.o it could not link to
> key-map and couple other things. but i left it at that
> and have to do some more testing first...
> the first compilation went nicely, so i may or may not
> have ruined something in between.
>
> in short, i´ll be more helpful in getting help
> in a couple days :-)
>
> best,
>
> andre
>
> btw, what is that thing about the capital Zs? shure it´s me?
> i´ve been using this mailer for a year now and did not
> get any complaint yet... found nothing myself, too

It's you all right. You have some aspect of the locale settings screwed
up. Have you a collection of files like this in /usr/lib/locale/de_DE?

root:~#ls /usr/lib/locale/de_DE at euro
LC_ADDRESS  LC_CTYPE           LC_MEASUREMENT  LC_MONETARY  LC_NUMERIC
LC_TELEPHONE
LC_COLLATE  LC_IDENTIFICATION  LC_MESSAGES/    LC_NAME      LC_PAPER
LC_TIME

root:~#ls /usr/lib/locale/de_DE at euro/LC_MESSAGES
SYS_LC_MESSAGES

Presuming you have, I would define a couple of more things: Here's what
I have in /etc/environment:
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
LC_ADDRESS=en_IE at euro
LC_COLLATE=en_IE at euro
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_IE at euro
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IE at euro
LC_MONETARY=en_IE at euro
LC_NAME=en_IE at euro
LC_NUMERIC=en_IE at euro
LC_PAPER=en_IE at euro
LC_TELEPHONE=en_IE at euro
LC_TIME=en_IE at euro
LANG=en
LC_ALL=en_IE at euro

I wouldn't claim to be the last word on these things, but you need to
get it mostly right. The capital Z thing is surely you. Your mailer may
have one charset & locale for out, and another for in. I fired up
hexedit and looked at your message, where the 'Z's appeared as full
stops. The hex value was 0xb4.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.