Replacing Bash by ASH

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 4 18:08:33 PST 2004

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
>

>> Dude, why not install both and then use ash as your login shell? A
>> bourne-compatible shell is generally required...
>>
>  Actually, ash _is_ bourne compatible, but the 1.12 bootscripts use
> bash-isms like 'source'.  Shouldn't be a problem (except for stuff in
> /etc/sysconfig/network_devices, and BLFS) because they generally use
> /bin/bash as the program interpreter.  If people want to symlink bash to
> ash they ought to expect things to break.
>
> Ken
> --
> Brighton tops UK Jedi league
>
> --

Me and J_Man are currently in the process of making the bootscripts ash
compliant [I hope...].  [so far, we replaced source with ., and
#!/bin/bash with #!/bin/sh].

Unfortunately, we dont have a stable pkg avaliable.  [the one we got, I
accidently left in $WARNING, which should have been echo -e -n $WARNING].
Not sure when the next beta pkg will be avaliable, I'll talk to J_Man.

*shrug*