"Remove"-value causes syntax error with loadkeys

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Feb 5 08:12:36 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:05:15PM +0000, Andre Müller enlightened us thusly
> hello everybody,
>
> i´ve got yet another problem
> with my console keymapping. and i´m
> utterly out of my depths.
>
> i´ve got a straightforward lfs-4.1 installation,
> using the german keymap. by now i´ve got everything
> working properly but for two keys:
>
> the Del (that is forward-delete) and the End key
> (or Entf and Ende on German layout). when pressing,
> they both ring the bell and output a tilde (~) to
> screen.
>
> the Code for Del is Remove, as far as i know,
> and i´ve looked into several other functional
> console keymaps, which state consistently that
> keycode 111 is Remove. which is what my lfs system
> keymap says as well.
>
> i tried assigning other values to the key by loading minimal
> tables, which also works fine.
> (something along the lines of
> echo "keycode 111 = whatever" > test.map
> loadkeys test.map)
>
> But Remove (or its hexadicimal analog) causes a syntax error
> when trying to load it.
>
> i could not find any clues as to what is behind
> this oddity. anyone encounterd anything similar?

Your ' sign still looks like this "´" (Which I see as Z)

Send us a reply including everything you can't get and everything we
can't get, like information: Your ' sign still looks like this ´ (Which
I see as Z)

	Your keyboard type.
	In the console, what font have you? keymap? locale?
Do the locale files exist in /usr/lib/locale?

Have you X running? How do you manage there?

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.