Quick CD/DVD burning question

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 5 02:01:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 01:45, Guy Benson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a DVD burner for Xmas, which I'm in the process of getting up in working. I also have an existing CD-ROM drive. I've been reading (or, trying to read between interruptions) the various FAQ's/mail archives, but one thing is not completely clear to me: is the use of the SCSI layer an "all or nothing" proposition?
>
> In other words since I have to use the SCSI layer to get the burner working, do I then have to use the SCSI layer with the CD-ROM drive, as well? Or is it possible to just use the SCSI drivers with the DVD burner via the "hdX=ide-scsi" append line, but have the CD-ROM use the standard IDE drivers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guy

> New! Unlimited Netscape Internet Service.
> Only $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register
> Act now to get a personalized email address!
>
> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

First off, please learn to use the return key :)

Now, on to the meat of your question.  If you have separate CD-ROM and
CD-RW drives, you can certainly use normal ide (hdx) interface for the
CD-ROM, and the ide-scsi support for the RW.  That's what I do here, and
here's what I do.

Compile the following things *IN* the kernel, not as modules:

IDE CDROM Support
SCSI Emulation Support
SCSI CD-ROM support
SCSI Generic support

Now, assuming your CD-ROM drive is hdb, and your burner is hdd, pass
hdd=ide-scsi to the kernel.  This tells the kernel to not use the ide
cdrom driver for device hdd, but instead let the ide-scsi handle it
instead.  Voila, hdb appears as normal, but your hdd RW drive now
actually becomes scd0, a scsi device, which cdrecrod can talk to no
problem.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

-J-