Quick CD/DVD burning question

alex at 22-music.de alex at 22-music.de
Thu Feb 5 02:54:36 PST 2004

On 05.02.04 04:45 -0500, Guy Benson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a DVD burner for Xmas, which I'm in the process of getting up in working. I also have an existing CD-ROM drive. I've been reading (or, trying to read between interruptions) the various FAQ's/mail archives, but one thing is not completely clear to me: is the use of the SCSI layer an "all or nothing" proposition?
>
> In other words since I have to use the SCSI layer to get the burner working, do I then have to use the SCSI layer with the CD-ROM drive, as well? Or is it possible to just use the SCSI drivers with the DVD burner via the "hdX=ide-scsi" append line, but have the CD-ROM use the standard IDE drivers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guy
The "scsi-emulation-only" stuff depends on the support for the IDE
drivers in the programs. So cdrecord should have no problems working
without the emulation. For burning DVDs, you'll probably use the
dvd+rw-tools (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/), which support
most drives/standards and are all free (unlike the cdrecord-dvd version)
and uses the IDE interface directly (like: growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=image).

Due to a limitation of IDE packet sizes, CD-/DVD-writing is slower on
kernel 2.4.x or older, so using kernel 2.6.2 could speed up things a lot
(CD: 8x is the fastest supported speed, DVD: 2x/4x, the latter DVD+R
only, while 2.6 support full drive capabilities).

LX