NVIDIA Driver 5336 VT switch blanks screen

Sequeira, Tony Tony.Sequeira at Edexcel.org.uk
Wed Feb 4 03:12:35 PST 2004


Sorry, have to reply from work here, pardon the disclaimer.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dagmar d'Surreal [mailto:dagmar.wants at nospam.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 5:33 PM
> To: BLFS Support List
> Subject: Re: NVIDIA Driver 5336 VT switch blanks screen
> 
> 
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 10:06, Tony Sequeira wrote:
> > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:25:27 -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote
> > 
> > > 
> > > On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 14:31, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> > > > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:12:59 -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal penned:
> > > > 
> > > > > On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 05:03, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> > > > >> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 00:53, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > > > >> > On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 07:48, Jochen Schroeder wrote:
> > > > >> > 
> > [...]
> > > 
> > > Okay, first off, the kernel settings here have nothing to 
> do with the
> > > nVidia kernel module, so there should be no reason to drop back to
> > 4496,
> > 
> > The thing is that everything is fine with 4496 and the RIVA driver
> > compiled into the kernel.  Everything I have tried with 
> 5336 results in
> > blank VTs. 
> 
> Let me make this _absolutely clear_.  The Riva FB driver and 
> the nVidia
> kernel driver will *never* play nicely together because of 
> the way they
> both expect to be the only thing making changes to the video card
> memoryspace.  You can use the Riva FB driver and VESA mode 
> with XFree86,
> or you can use the VESA FB driver and the nVidia 
> kernel/XFree86 driver,
> but you can not use the Riva FB driver and the nVidia kernel/XFree86
> drivers together, period.  They _will_ conflict.

What you say makes _perfect_ sense to me.  I see no reason why 4496 and
the RIVA driver work together, the fact is that it does.  I have not tried
it without, but the evidence is plain, it works with my machine.

> > > and no reason to expect this will fix the problem.  Try 
> vga=773, which

The problem occurs with 5536 which will _not_ work, with or without the
RIVA driver and vga=793 (or whatever, I'm at work again).  I _did_ include
_only_ the VESA driver in the FB option screen, anything extraneous that
appeared in the config I posted is an internal thingie, _not_ something I
enabled.  I will try vga=773 and just the VESA driver when I get a chance,
I'm just a leetle bit fed up with recompiling the kernel, alsa, nvidia, and
the quick cam modules, it takes a fair chunk of my spare time, in which I
cannot read mail with my gui emailer, or catch up with my bewsgroups.

I will try when I can and report.

[...]

Cheers.  Sorry about disclaimer, I have to post from here, I don't have this
email accessible with my web email account.


****************************************************************************
This email may contain confidential material.

If you were not an intended recipient, 

please notify the sender and delete all copies.

We may monitor email to and from our network.
****************************************************************************




More information about the blfs-support mailing list