Problems compiling Cisco VPN Client 4.0

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Tue Feb 3 17:05:15 PST 2004

Michael Beuse wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> got severe problems in compiling the Cisco VPN Client 4.0 under my
> Linux-2.6.2-rc2/NPTL system. The Client isn't compiled by a make script
> but by a shell script. I added the script that failed to, so you can
> examine the exact build instructions.
> I used
> CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc ./driver_build.sh /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc-WG511
> to build the driver module.
> I hope someone can help me. I must use this program to access the
> network of my university.
>
> Thanks for every help,
>     Michael Beuse

> In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc2-WG511/include/linux/irq.h:20,
>                  from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc2-WG511/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
>                  from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc2-WG511/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
>                  from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc2-WG511/include/linux/netdevice.h:490,
>                  from linuxcniapi.c:22:
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc2-WG511/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Quick guess...you need to clean up your headers better.  I don't know if
the following is the proper way to handle it, but you can try this with
*no guarantees*:

'cp /usr/include/asm/mach-default/irq_vectors.h /usr/include/asm'
but you need to look at the file that included it (asm/irq.h) and see
where it expects it to be....in the case of unmodified headers, probably
"machine specific directory" so you'll need to copy it to asm and change
the line in asm/irq.h that reads '#include "irq_vectors.h"' to '#include
<asm/irq_vectors.h>'.  I'll repeat, I have no idea if this is the
correct fix, but it *might* work.

BTW, has anybody else seen these includes?  How are they supposed to
work at all?  Should the machine specific includes just fall into
include/asm or include?  Is it just my very limited understanding of
programming getting in the way?  Maybe I missed the part where it does
the check to see which machine specific directory to use.  Even if that
is so, how does the compiler know where to find them?  Or should the
correct directories be passed to the include path at all times?  And
perhaps the best guess....these should not be in userspace at all.  Lots
of questions above.  I'll leave to the experts to explain away or
support the recomendation above.

-- DJ