NVIDIA Driver 5336 VT switch blanks screen

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Tue Feb 3 09:33:12 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 10:06, Tony Sequeira wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:25:27 -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote
>

> > On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 14:31, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> > > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:12:59 -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal penned:

> [...]
> >
> > Okay, first off, the kernel settings here have nothing to do with the
> > nVidia kernel module, so there should be no reason to drop back to
> 4496,
>
> The thing is that everything is fine with 4496 and the RIVA driver
> compiled into the kernel.  Everything I have tried with 5336 results in
> blank VTs.

Let me make this _absolutely clear_.  The Riva FB driver and the nVidia
kernel driver will *never* play nicely together because of the way they
both expect to be the only thing making changes to the video card
memoryspace.  You can use the Riva FB driver and VESA mode with XFree86,
or you can use the VESA FB driver and the nVidia kernel/XFree86 driver,
but you can not use the Riva FB driver and the nVidia kernel/XFree86
drivers together, period.  They _will_ conflict.

> > and no reason to expect this will fix the problem.  Try vga=773, which
> > _should_ be 1024x768x256.  Oh, and I wouldn't even bother messing with
> > the fonts options on that menu page.  I've always had everything on
> the
> > framebuffer driver menu entirely disabled.  You could be getting
> tanked
> > by some broken fontness.
> >
> > ...and if all else fails, there's always the VGA fonts still (80x60
> > isn't bad.  I used it for years.)
>
> I did too, I'm spoiled now.
>
> As I said previously in this thread, I have gotten used to whatever
> vga=793 (or whatever, I'm not at home 1600x1200?) gives me, and I'm
> certainly not happy with 80x60.  I have tried various configuration
> permutations, and have got nowhere, I'm prepared to put this to one
> side for now.  I'm not quite sure where the problem lies, and am not
> ready to invest the effort attempting to fix the problem until I have
> moved to 2.6 and it becomes apparent there.

If it's not working then something is going wrong with the FB driver.
The nVidia kernel module is never used until something (usu. XFree86)
invokes it, so it is not the culprit in breaking your VTs.

Just build the VESA FB support into your kernel, without any of the
other options from that screen, and vga=773 will almost always
(excepting when the monitor doesn't support whatever refresh rate is
auto-picked, generally because the monitor is bizarre) get you a FB
aspect of 1024x768x256.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org