please have a look at this hint

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Tue Feb 3 01:34:15 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:14:58AM +0100, P.R. enlightened us thusly
> Hi
>
> * Taking us all the way through an example in some detail might have
> * helped. Had you backed up a 5 gig partition with du-sh to size files,
> * and noted temp space, etc needed and approximate max storage, I would be
> * more confident.
> *
> * You gave insufficient advice on storage media.
>
> Good point.
> I think I will exercise an example, basing it on a LFS backup just after
> the LFS book has ended.
>
> * Have you discovered the 'split' program
>
> Sure, I use it frequently for fitting archives for floppy disks.
>
> But when I stick to the example it is not needed, the pure LFS tar
> archive was about 200MB, bzip2'ed 60MB.
> I will mention it though when dealing with the whole storage/ space
> availability.
>
> * You have to be able to extract partially. It's a requirement of backup.
> * I need a hint to do the magic, not state the obvious. Even a total scripting
> * disaster area like myself can see the potential of the following approach
>
> This is true, I will rework on that, too / test it myself.
>
> Give me some days, right now I'm fighting with the courier installation.

This is all good. Take all the time you like - we had little before. I
felt I was being very harsh, as the hint was indeed helpful. During
backup, I have to trust my data to my own incompetence and some system.
I'd love the example

Bear in mind that people have BLFS. My system is 2 gigs, with another
gig of archives in /usr/src. That may need cdroms. I am sure anyone with
a music collection would be way up.

BTW, where do you download 'split'? I'm only finding crap lying around
and a search for 'split' is like searching for 'and' :-/.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.