please have a look at this hint
gropie-rubble at gmx.de
Mon Feb 2 18:14:58 PST 2004
* Taking us all the way through an example in some detail might have
* helped. Had you backed up a 5 gig partition with du-sh to size files,
* and noted temp space, etc needed and approximate max storage, I would be
* more confident.
* You gave insufficient advice on storage media.
I think I will exercise an example, basing it on a LFS backup just after
the LFS book has ended.
* Have you discovered the 'split' program
Sure, I use it frequently for fitting archives for floppy disks.
But when I stick to the example it is not needed, the pure LFS tar
archive was about 200MB, bzip2'ed 60MB.
I will mention it though when dealing with the whole storage/ space
* You have to be able to extract partially. It's a requirement of backup.
* I need a hint to do the magic, not state the obvious. Even a total scripting
* disaster area like myself can see the potential of the following approach
This is true, I will rework on that, too / test it myself.
Give me some days, right now I'm fighting with the courier installation.
More information about the blfs-support