NVIDIA Driver 5336 VT switch blanks screen

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Mon Feb 2 12:31:33 PST 2004

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:12:59 -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal penned:

> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 05:03, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

>> > nVidia cards have been VESA-compliant for as long as I remember, and
>> > it's the VESA framebuffer mode that needs to be compiled into the
>> > kernel.  (Yes, the Riva framebuffer driver will break horribly when you
>> > try to load nVidia's driver module)
>>
>> Is this with or without the VGA driver?
>>
>> I've tried with, I always thought it was required.
>>
>> I'll try later.
>
> Turn on the two options in the Console Drivers menu (VGA text console
> and Video mode selection support).  You'll want VGA text console as a
> fallback in case you you have to stick a cheapie video card in the
> machine as a replacement.  The VGA text console driver gets you the
> actual cell-based "little letters" screens that lilo scans for when you
> tell it "vga = ask", i.e., 132x60, 80x60, 80x50, etc.  Under the Frame
> Buffer support sub-menu, select Support for frame buffer devices and
> VESA VGA graphics console.  Those two things are really all you need or
> want.

OK I did exactly that:
#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

and get exactly the same symptoms. blank VTs.

Kernel 2.4.24, must be something to do with my machine, or possibly
another configuration option somewhere.  Not too worried about it at the
moment, gearing up for the big switch to 2.6, got 4 days holiday coming up
in the middle of the month, aiming to start a new LFS install with kernel
2.6 then.

Back to 4496 again :(.

And thanks again.  The help is much appreciated.
--
Tony