please have a look at this hint

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Mon Feb 2 03:05:50 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:23:03PM +1300, Simon Geard enlightened us
thusly
> P.R. wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just wrote my first hint
> >
> > (actually it is an addon to an existing hint: lfsbackup
> > http://linuxfromscratch.tuxcenter.net/hints/downloads/files/lfsbackup.txt)
> >
> > Suggestions and corrections are really appreciated.
>
> You have the following paragraph:
>
>     Note:  If you are doing this at the end of the LFS book, or after
>     any other big jobs, you may want to get rid of /static, /usr/src,
>     and any other big files like lfs-sources.tar.
>
> In newer LFS versions (5 onward?), /static has become /tools. Might be
> worth mentioning both, with a note that only one or the other will be
> present.
>
> Otherwise good.

I thought it sound as far as it went. I'd like it to go further.

/Harsh critique:

Taking us all the way through an example in some detail might have
helped. Had you backed up a 5 gig partition with du-sh to size files,
and noted temp space, etc needed and approximate max storage, I would be
more confident.

You gave insufficient advice on storage media.

You can also update a tar file. Have you discovered the 'split' program,
which allows you to put it on CDRs?. It 's somnething like
tar -cvf mytar__.tar yourfiles |bzip2 -9 |split=650M
	(Thoose are the parts - the syntax is wild guesswork)

and the output becomes mytaraa.tar.bz2, mytarab.tar.bz2 etc.

You have to be able to extract partially. It's a requirement of backup.
I need a hint to do the magic, not state the obvious. Even a total scripting
disaster area like myself can see the potential of the following approach

	For files in / do:
zap subdir and tree to tar.bz2
	next

--