mysql, ld.so.conf

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 2 00:27:27 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 23:06, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
> >Strange...BLFS itself adds paths to /etc/ld.so.conf:
> >
> >/usr/X11R6/lib
> >/opt/qt/lib
> >/opt/gnome-2.4/lib
> >/opt/gnome/lib
> >/opt/kde/lib
> >

> Those are needed because those packages are not installed with a
> standard prefix.
>
> >We have the same problem with Mozilla - it puts it's NSS libs into
> >/usr/lib/mozilla - any programs that link against these (GAIM comes to
> >mind right off the top, as does early versions of Evolution 1.4) will
> >fail to run unless /usr/lib/mozilla is added to /etc/ld.so.conf
> >

> I am currently seperating firebird and thunderbird from mozilla and this
> is one of the things I was fixing right now :-) On my system, I move
> these files to /usr/lib.

Better make sure you either alter your configure switches to support
this, or hack the .pc files, since many of the programs that link
against libnss use the nss.pc file to find the libs.

> AFAIK, directories under $libdir/$package are reserved for installing
> libs/programs that are internal to the package.

Perhaps the mysql people intend for these libs to only be internal, but
there are definately programs that are linking to libmysqlclient.  Could
these libs be redirected by a simple configure switch?, or do they
actually need to be moved/symlinked?

-J-