mysql, ld.so.conf

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 1 22:11:41 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 11:47, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 18:24, Kenneth Skiles wrote:
> >

> >>One thing though is that the libs were put into their own directory,
> >>/usr/lib/mysql
> >>
> >>Do we need a note in the BLFS to update the /etc/ld.so.conf file with
> >>/usr/lib/msyql ?
> >>

> >YES!
> >
> >Without this, programs that link to libmysqlclient.so won't run
> >properly.  I run into this every time I set up my virtual mail system,
> >which uses Exim linked to libmysqlclient to access SQL databases.
> >

> Why does mysql install the libs under a subdirectory if these are needed
> by other applications?
>
> The correct solution (IMO) is to move the required libs from
> /usr/lib/mysql to /usr/lib. Paths should never be added to /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> --
> Tushar Teredesai
>    http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/
>    http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Strange...BLFS itself adds paths to /etc/ld.so.conf:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/opt/qt/lib
/opt/gnome-2.4/lib
/opt/gnome/lib
/opt/kde/lib

We have the same problem with Mozilla - it puts it's NSS libs into
/usr/lib/mozilla - any programs that link against these (GAIM comes to
mind right off the top, as does early versions of Evolution 1.4) will
fail to run unless /usr/lib/mozilla is added to /etc/ld.so.conf

-J-